A: Molds are a natural part of the environment and can be found almost anywhere that moisture and oxygen are present.  Outdoors they breakdown plant and animal matter in the environment.  Indoors they can pose adverse health risks and should be avoided.     
A: Each remediation is handled differently.  If the occupant feels physically comfortable and the remediation is performed in a manner that prevents cross contamination than yes, you can be in the home during the remediation process.  You should never enter the remediation area until after it is successfully complete. 
A: Molded items that are porous and from which it will be difficult to remove mold completely.  These items include paper, wallboard, rotten wood, carpet, drapes, and upholstery. 
A: On average remediations range from 1-5 days in time when performed in compliance with the IICRC s520 mold remediation standards.
A: Mold is often found indoors in areas with chronic moisture and inadequate ventilation.  In cases where the underlying water source can be rectified mold growth should not deter your decision to buy a home. 
A: For mold to grow it will need moisture and a food source for nutrients.  Items like wet sheetrock, wood, papers, and wet carpet all become food sources for mold to grow on.   
A: Molds grow on wet substrates.  To reproduce they release spores which can spread through the air.  Indoors when molded surfaces are disturbed it often releases spores in the air.
A: Not all mold that is black is necessarily harmful.  Black mold that is often referred to in the media is really called Stachybotrys.  This specific type of mold is toxic in nature. 
A: A pronounced musty/earthy smell.  Fuzzy discoloring on building materials and personal items.  Feeling sick while in the mold infested home, with symptoms subsiding shortly after leaving the infested dwelling. 
A: Mold removal is often priced based on time, labor, and materials.  Keep in mind that the cost typically includes an initial site assessment, the remediation process, and a warranty for a set period.
A: You should never paint over mold infested building materials.  This will add an additional food source for the mold to grow on.
A: You should never use bleach to kill mold.  Bleach will remove the color of the mold, giving the illusion that it is no longer present. 
A: Maintain dry conditions indoors.  Make sure to maintain your homes gutters, plumbing, and that all dehumidifiers and sump pumps are consistently working. 
A: By using an array of industry related equipment.  These include moisture meters, hygrometers, thermal imaging cameras, and testing techniques. 
A: Hidden mold will often need moisture readings and testing performed to gain an accurate understanding of the home’s moisture content and air quality.   
A: No, mildew is the biproduct of a mold spore.  It is typically flatter than mold.  It is often found on non-porous materials that are consistently wet, like bathroom tiles and sinks. 
A: Over the counter mold test kits are often inaccurate and give no insight to underlying causes of the mold growth.  You should always use a professional for mold testing needs.